- Title: Puppet 4.10 Beginner’s Guide: From newbie to pro with Puppet 4.10, 2nd Edition
- Autor: John Arundel
- Publisher (Publication Date): Packt Publishing – ebooks Account; 2nd Revised edition edition (May 31, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: | 1787124002
- ISBN-13: | 978-1787124004
- File Format: EPUB, PDF
Puppet is great for developers, system administrators, IT professionals, and anyone laying the foundation for DevOps practices – this comprehensive guide will get you up to speed, all the way from installation to automation to the latest features of Puppet 4.10.
About This Book
- Develop skills to run Puppet 4.10 on single or multiple servers without hiccups
- Use Puppet to spin up and manage cloud resources such as Amazon EC2 instances
- Take full advantage of the powerful new features of Puppet 4.10, including loops, data types, structured facts, R10K module management, control repos, and EPP templates
Who This Book Is For
Puppet Beginner’s Guide, Second Edition is designed for those who are new to Puppet, including system administrators and developers who are looking to manage computer server systems for configuration management. No prior programming or system administration experience is assumed.
What You Will Learn
- Covers the latest Puppet 4.10 release
- Install and set up Puppet and discover the latest and most advanced features
- Configure, build, and run containers in production using Puppet’s industry-leading Docker support
- Deploy configuration files and templates at super-fast speeds and manage user accounts and access control
- Automate your IT infrastructure
- Use the latest features in Puppet 4 onward and its official modules
- Manage clouds, containers, and orchestration
- Get to know the best practices to make Puppet more reliable and increase its performance
Puppet 4.10 Beginner’s Guide, Second Edition, gets you up and running with the very latest features of Puppet 4.10, including Docker containers, Hiera data, and Amazon AWS cloud orchestration. Go from beginner to confident Puppet user with a series of clear, practical examples to help you manage every aspect of your server setup.
Whether you’re a developer, a system administrator, or you are simply curious about Puppet, you’ll learn Puppet skills that you can put into practice right away. With practical steps giving you the key concepts you need, this book teaches you how to install packages and config files, create users, set up scheduled jobs, provision cloud instances, build containers, and so much more.
Every example in this book deals with something real and practical that you’re likely to need in your work, and you’ll see the complete Puppet code that makes it happen, along with step-by-step instructions for what to type and what output you’ll see. All the examples are available in a GitHub repo for you to download and adapt for your own server setup.
Style and approach
This tutorial is packed with quick step-by-step instructions that are immediately applicable for beginners. This is an easy-to-read guide, to learn Puppet from scratch, that explains simply and clearly all you need to know to use this essential IT power tool, while applying these solutions to real-world scenarios.
This book does not just cover Puppet well, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that it also goes into several related topics. e.g. using Git to keep track of changes. There is also a chapter on containers (and Docker), some issues with them and how to use Puppet to manage them. After that there’s a chapter on cloud resources, in particular AWS. Again the book provides a lot of useful information on how to manage various resources like EC2 instances, VPCs, etc.